22 July 2011: Norway attacks: First a bomb blast which targeted government buildings in central Oslo, followed by a massacre at a youth camp on the island of Utøya. (Source)

Norsk bokmål: Utøya, the place of the attack on the Norwegian Labor Party’s youth camp. Utøya, the scene of the terrorist attack on AUF – photo by Paalso; Paal Sørensen 2011 (Source)

The 2011 Norway attacks, referred to in Norway as 22 July (Norwegian: 22. juli)[13] or as 22/7,[14] were two sequential domestic terrorist attacks by Anders Behring Breivik against the government, the civilian population, and a Workers’ Youth League (AUF) summer camp, in which 77 people were killed.

The first attack was a car bomb explosion in Oslo within Regjeringskvartalet, the executive government quarter of Norway, at 15:25:22 (CEST).[1] The bomb was placed inside a van[15] next to the tower block housing the office of the then Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg.[16] The explosion killed eight people and injured at least 209 people, twelve severely.[9][10][11]

The second attack occurred less than two hours later at a summer camp on the island of Utøya in Tyrifjorden, Viken. The camp was organized by the AUF, the youth division of the ruling Norwegian Labour Party (AP). Breivik, dressed in a homemade police uniform and showing false identification,[17][18] took a ferry to the island and opened fire at the participants, killing 69[7][8][19] and injuring at least 110, 55 seriously.[10][11] Among the dead were Stoltenberg’s friends, and the stepbrother of Norway’s crown princess Mette-Marit.[20]

The attack was the deadliest in Norway since World War II.[21][22] A survey found that one in four Norwegians knew someone affected.[23] The European Union, NATO and several countries expressed their support for Norway and condemned the attacks. The 2012 Gjørv Report concluded that Norway’s police could have prevented the bombing and caught Breivik faster at Utøya, and that measures to prevent further attacks and “mitigate adverse effects” should have been implemented.[24]

The Norwegian Police arrested Breivik, a 32-year-old Norwegian right-wing extremist,[25] on Utøya island[26] and charged him with both attacks.[27] His trial took place between 16 April and 22 June 2012 in Oslo District Court, where Breivik admitted carrying out the attacks, but denied criminal guilt and claimed the defense of necessity (jus necessitatis).[28] On 24 August, Breivik was convicted as charged and sentenced to 21 years of preventive detention in prison, the maximum sentence allowed in Norway. The sentence can be extended indefinitely as long as the prisoner is deemed a threat to society. (Source)

Leave a Reply